I run into a surprising number of companies that rely on spreadsheets or paper ledgers to keep track of their financials. If this is you, PLEASE consider spending the small investment of time and money to switch to QuickBooks!
Accounting is a well established field, and it doesn’t change all that much from year to year. QuickBooks has been around for nearly 20 years, which means it’s rock solid and can only get better. It’s easy to use and has all the normal accounting functions and reports available via a single mouseclick.
Custom spreadsheets can break from time to time; changes can be tough and require close scrutiny. Paper ledgers are even worse because they require hours of time with your 10-key calculator. Once the data is in QuickBooks, the software tallies everything for you automatically.
What else can it do?
- Need to send invoices or statements? You can email them.
- Need to accept credit card payments? That’s integrated too.
- Need to write checks or deposit slips? Print them out. It’s faster and more accurate.
- Tired of retyping the bills that stay the same from month to month? Memorize the transaction and set it to repeat on the schedule of your choice.
- Don’t want to deal with entering credit card statements each month? Download them instead.
We’re barely scratching the surface of what QuickBooks can do, but the point is that it can dramatically transform your accounting processes. Invest the time to set it up right, with your accountant’s help. Get training, so you are comfortable using the system and know its capabilities. Then enjoy the new-found productivity, accuracy, and up-to-the-minute financial reports that tell you exactly how your business is performing.