The reason Microsoft’s Small Business Server is so popular in growing businesses is that it bundles a number of key services all in one.
It’s also offered at a very appealing price, far less than it would cost to buy each item individually. It’s a great foundation to any small business’s computer network.
Some of the features include:
- Exchange Server – this allows you to host email on your server and share data like contacts and calendars
- SharePoint – this is a good platform for an internal company website, also known as an intranet
- Fax Server – you can set up computer-based faxing
- SQL Server – this powerful database is needed for many software applications
- Firewall – security is also built into the Small Business Server, although be sure to include additional precautions like an external firewall/security device
Routine server functions like file and printer sharing are also included. It comes with licenses for up to 5 people, and you can buy 5-packs of additional licenses to cover the number of staff connected to your network.
In case you are wondering why large businesses don’t use it…this is a special deal intended only for small companies. Microsoft limits the number of users to 75 per server, which means larger companies can’t run it.